The anniversary Smash Summit 10 event took place during November 19-22nd. The pandemic causes the organizers to switch the tournament to an online format, but did this have a beneficial impact on statistics? Esports Charts will tell you how the tenth tournament dealt with the new realities for esports and who are the fans of Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Smash Summit 10 Online became the first online tournament in the series due to the pandemic. The participants continued to compete in Super Smash Bros. Melee, despite Nintendo not updating the game. This is because the Japanese are now focusing on its successor, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – while the community prefers the previous version.
Another special feature of Smash Summit 10 is the increased number of participants: whereas the last season had 18 players, the current one already has 20. The format of the championship underwent slight changes, with the tournament grid being divided into two regions (North America and Europe) in order to avoid any ping-related problems.
Aside from the main competition we also were presented with a separate competition for the Smash Summit casters and Smurf Tournamenet with the anonymous performance of cyberathletes in order to raise the audience's interest. For an even bigger challenge, the players all chose unfamiliar fighters.
Zain Naghmi continued his winning streak – the player has not lost a single tournament since the Slippi Champions League in October. The champion’s matches at Smash Summit 10 were watched by 44K average viewers. But ranked first by this indicator is his rival Mang0, with 45K average viewers and 71K hours watched.
Who are the viewers of Smash Summit?
We decided to determine the exact type of audience among which Smash Summit tends to enjoy popularity, therefore presenting you with a statistical portrait of the average viewer of this competition based on several criteria.
The age of 47.8% of viewers varies from 18 to 24 years old, and these are spending on average 1 hour 12 minutes on the broadcast. The next largest segment of the fighting game audience consists of 25 to 34 years old fans, which make 40% of the total broadcast viewers. This particular segment watched the tournament for the longest average time of 1 hour 14 minutes.
93.6% of the tournament’s audience consists of men and the remaining 6.4% are women. When it came to time spent watching the event, the fairer sex spent slightly less average time, with the ratio being 1 hour 12 minutes (men) to 56 minutes (women).
99% of the tournament viewers were English-speaking, and so we also checked their locations in order to find out where Smash Summit 10 Online was popular with a greater degree of precision.
The United States took the first spot in terms of the number of users and sessions (65% of the total sessions number), followed by Canada (10.6%) and the European countries. Germany is leading among the latter with 3.2%.
It should be noted that the viewers from Sweden spent the most time watching the event: 1 hour 23 minutes on average. The least time was spent by the viewers from Argentina – only 19 minutes on average.
How did the tournament perform compared to the previous events?
When comparing the statistics of the entire Smash Summit series, it can be seen that the tenth event has the fewest hours watched, with the 39% worth decline of the respective indicator. Peak broadcast viewers dropped by 18% compared to the previous event. As a result, the anniversary event failed to surpass Smash Summit 9 – which, on the contrary, was all about improvement of indicators and became the most watched in the series.
Our social media pages will keep you updated on the most interesting esports statistics. Do not forget to share your opinions and questions using our Discord server.